Saturday, November 04, 2006

Sup honkies! Ben here. So, last weekend was pretty gnarly. On a normal trip to Quake Lake with Jay and Bradford so serious carnage went down. So, while we scouted S-turn, the hardest part of the run, we came across something interesting. Jay and Bradford had found a potential Seal Launch. This was no ordinary seal launch, but a steep, jagged, angry 100 yard monster. To tell you the truth, it looked like it would make a better ski run with a little snow, but with a little encouragement and amping, I was ready to drop it.
The launch began with a 15 ft long chute. This is what initially scared me the most, that, and the rock about 100 ft down the slope that could really mess my day up. I distinctly remember saying to Bradford, "I think as long as I stay away from that rock I should be good". Needless to say, I hit the rock. The first 150 ft of the run went really smooth, but once it opened up I indeed hit the rock, which by the way, destroyed my boat, and sent me sliding sideways around 30-35mph. Despite my efforts to correct my angle I crashed full on sideways into the water where I got launched into the air and smashed back down upside down. Once I rolled up in the rapids I realized that I couldn't breathe and had knocked the wind out of myself. (In the video I make some really messed up noises) I then paddled really hard with no air in my lungs and got to shore. I got out of my boat dazed and confused with my back in some serious pain and gave Jay and Bradford the "ok" and promptly sat down and looked back up and what I had just dropped with a shocked grin on my face. Gosh that was intense! WOOP WOOP!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty sweet drop...next time add some snow and I bet it would be tons more fun :)